Random Pieces of a Puzzle…. (The first entry from my book written years ago.)
I remind
him that, children, specifically ours, are not adults…so do not expect them to behave as such. Life with young children (who am I
kidding? ANY aged children), is
unpredictable and can be challenging. It
can sometimes take you way outside of
your parameters of comfort and into a dense, unmapped jungle of anxiety. My jungle may be, running through the aisles
of Target with screaming children for a last minute birthday gift (the party
is in fifteen minutes). No list…shame on your sleeve- as well as everywhere
else; and a very small window to do so…Doing
and saying exactly what we said we wouldn’t, prior to having children. I am struggling. I admit it.
Is there a twelve-step program for this?
I’m
certainly not without fault; as I’m reminding him, I can’t help but remind
myself that it takes a lot more than, “reactive parenting”, to achieve this
fantasy state of existence that he is striving for. It’s a continuous work in progress that often
falls short of our expectations…so you have to tell yourself your life is a
learning curve and park your fantasies of perfection at the Labor &
Delivery Room door.
I think
my husband watched too many episodes of, “Leave It to Beaver”, as a child. The image of motherhood June Cleaver
portrayed years ago on a TV show, is that – a show, an image…one that couldn’t possibly be attained in the real
world by any sane, intelligent woman who experiences any level of joy. June had
to have some dark facet or shortcomings that we viewers didn’t see. Or else she had a full time house keeper that
was never shown. I take comfort in
telling myself that she was a tad bit bipolar, had OCD, missed important
appointments, had an eating disorder, and was having an affair with the milkman
and that Beaver’s paternity was questionable.
Or, I could live with knowing that she had multiple personalities and by
dinner she forgot the other bullshit from the rest of the day.
God, are
you listening? Is there such thing as a “Mommy
Whisperer”…or for that matter a “Man Whisperer”? There’s one for dogs and one for horses….maybe
even sloths by now, surely there must be one for me? I just need a small beacon of hope…a little help here trying to
figure out my life and how I actually fit into it. Sometimes my wants and needs are only
important to ME. And maybe if I can
figure out my own messy life, I can figure out the rest of the seemingly
perfect women (ok, the entire population), I interact with
daily and more important, the people I live
with on a daily basis.
No comments:
Post a Comment